Death toll in Gaza climbs past 69,000 as violence continues - As-salamu alaykum
As-salamu alaykum. Nearly a month after the truce between Hamas and Israel, the number of lives lost in Gaza keeps rising while families and rescue teams still search for those trapped under the rubble.
Gaza’s Ministry of Health said the death toll since October 7, 2023, reached 69,169 after more bodies were identified and recovered. The ministry reports that more than 240 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli attacks since the ceasefire took effect last month.
There were fresh reports of killings on Saturday. The Israeli military said it shot one Palestinian who crossed the agreed demarcation line and approached Israeli soldiers in northern Gaza, and another in southern Gaza whom it said posed an immediate threat. Forces have continued firing on Palestinians, including families, who come near that line.
A child was also killed when an explosive device left behind by forces detonated in Khan Younis, Nasser Hospital said.
The World Health Organization urged the Rafah crossing with Egypt to be reopened for urgent medical evacuations. About 4,000 Palestinian patients have already left Gaza via Rafah for treatment in Egypt and elsewhere, while another 16,500 are still waiting to travel for medical care, WHO said. The crossing remains essential for getting patients out and bringing health supplies in.
In the occupied West Bank, raids and settler attacks continued, contributing to fears that Palestinians are being pushed from their land amid ongoing settlement expansion. In Beita, south of Nablus, a group harvesting olives was attacked by masked settlers who, witnesses said, hurled large rocks and beat people. Several were injured, including journalists and a 70-year-old activist who reportedly suffered broken facial bones.
The Palestinian Journalists Syndicate said five journalists were hurt in the assault and condemned the attack. International reporters were also among the injured.
Settler violence during this year’s olive harvest has been near-daily in many areas, damaging thousands of trees and saplings tied to Palestinian livelihoods and heritage. The United Nations has recorded many attacks across numerous towns and villages since September.
On Saturday settlers also attacked homes in Raba near Jenin while Israeli soldiers entered the village, according to local reports. The military escalated raids elsewhere, wounding a man in Far’a refugee camp and arresting youths in Yabad and al-Mazraa ash-Sharqiya. A man was shot in the leg near the separation barrier in ar-Ram and taken for treatment.
Dozens suffered from tear gas inhalation after forces fired canisters at worshippers at Izz al-Din al-Qassam Mosque in Salem during evening prayers.
May Allah grant patience to the grieving, healing to the wounded, and safety for all civilians. Please keep the affected families in your duas.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news