Thousands more flee as fighting reaches eastward parts of famine-hit Sudan - As-salāmu ʿalaykum
As-salāmu ʿalaykum. The paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) have caused thousands more Sudanese to flee as they prepare a new push after brutal attacks in el-Fasher, Darfur.
A UN report released Sunday warned of worsening humanitarian consequences as the RSF’s offensive forces more people from their homes. The RSF, led by Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo (Hemedti), put out a video claiming it is “gathering a large force” and talking about an imminent move on el-Obeid.
El-Obeid, the capital of North Kordofan in central Sudan, sits east of Darfur. The RSF recently seized el-Fasher, killing and displacing many people, and now both the RSF and the Sudanese armed forces are preparing for heavy fighting over el-Obeid. In the RSF footage a fighter said forces had gathered near Bara, about 50 km northeast of el-Obeid.
The International Organization for Migration estimated that more than 1,200 people were displaced from Bara and Um Rawaba on Friday alone, adding to 36,825 displaced from parts of North Kordofan since last week. In South Kordofan, around 360 people were reported displaced from Abassiya and Delami, with more movement expected as the situation stays tense.
Across Sudan the humanitarian situation is catastrophic, particularly in and around el-Fasher. UN teams said over the weekend an additional 8,631 people were driven from el-Fasher, bringing the total from that area to more than 70,000 since the RSF took the city on October 26 after an 18-month siege.
UN spokespeople and aid agencies have received accounts from survivors describing mass killings, torture, rape and other sexual violence, abductions and ransom demands after the RSF takeover of some areas. There are also reports of summary executions of some Red Crescent volunteers. Tens of thousands remain trapped and starving inside el-Fasher, and the whereabouts of many who fled are still unknown. Disturbing videos and witness testimony describe bodies on roads and civilians killed in attacks.
The Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) has declared famine in el-Fasher and Kadugli in South Kordofan and warned that many more areas in Darfur and Kordofan risk falling into famine. Estimates suggested 375,000 people were already living in famine conditions in those regions as of September, and about 6.3 million across Sudan face extreme hunger and risk sliding into famine without a ceasefire and safe humanitarian access.
Many displaced Sudanese have moved to towns like al-Dabbah in the Northern State, but the fear of further displacement is constant. Survivors describe scenes of devastation: dead bodies in the streets, families torn apart, and civilians shot while trying to escape. One man who fled with his children said he lost his wife to a drone strike and heard fighters call to “kill them all.”
The International Criminal Court has opened investigations into alleged war crimes by the RSF linked to these recent events in el-Fasher, saying it will take steps to preserve evidence for future prosecutions. The ICC noted the reported crimes may include ethnic-targeted attacks, sexual violence used as a weapon, abductions, indiscriminate attacks on civilians and assaults on medical facilities.
May Allah grant safety and patience to the displaced, provide relief to the hungry, protect the innocent, and guide those who can help to deliver aid quickly and securely. Please keep the people of Sudan in your duas.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news