Salaam - Jordan: No lasting security in Gaza while Israeli forces remain
As-salamu alaykum. Jordan’s Foreign Minister Ayman Safadi said on Saturday that lasting stability in Gaza won’t be possible as long as Israeli forces continue to occupy parts of the enclave, and he called for a clear timeline for withdrawal.
Under a US-mediated ceasefire signed last month, Israeli troops pulled back to a so-called “yellow line,” leaving them in control of roughly half the territory, while carrying out occasional strikes. Speaking at the IISS Manama Dialogue security summit in Bahrain, Mr Safadi warned that security will remain a serious challenge while parts of the war-torn Gaza remain under Israeli occupation.
“It’s essential that we agree on a timeline for Israeli forces to withdraw from Gaza,” he said.
The ceasefire requires further Israeli pullback as more truce conditions are met. Although the line was initially unseen by Gazans, the military has started placing concrete barriers to mark it, causing confusion and fears among Palestinians that Israel intends a lasting presence.
Mr Safadi said Palestinian police must be deployed, with a clear mandate that coordinates their work with an international stabilisation force planned to help maintain the truce, and arrangements must be made for any Israeli troops that remain temporarily in Gaza.
The first phase of the deal covers the return of living and deceased Israeli hostages and the entry of humanitarian aid. Later phases envisage an international stabilisation force to help enforce the ceasefire; talks continue at the UN Security Council and with regional partners over how that mission should be structured.
“We all agree that for the stabilisation force to be effective it needs a UN Security Council mandate so other countries can participate, and so we can sort out how the international force and the Palestinian force will interface, with the Palestinians ultimately responsible for their own security,” Mr Safadi said.
He emphasised that Palestinians must be governed by their own people. “With respect, bringing outsiders to run Gaza won’t work. That’s why current discussions focus on a Palestinian-led, apolitical diplomatic commission linked to the Palestinian Authority,” he added.
Last month, world leaders met in Sharm El Sheikh to sign the ceasefire agreement. The deal paused more than two years of fighting in Gaza that caused massive casualties and destruction across the enclave.
Mr Safadi warned against unilateral steps that undermine the two-state solution, saying that while it may not be the moment to implement it fully, efforts to preserve that option must continue.
European countries have also offered to help. Germany’s Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul said his country is ready to assist Egypt and others with reconstruction in Gaza and to support Palestine.
Egypt, the US, Qatar and Turkey have played key mediation roles between Israel and Hamas during the conflict.
While Gaza’s war and aftermath dominate attention, Mr Safadi also described developments in Syria over the past year as a “success story thus far” and called for help in rebuilding Syria in ways that secure its territory, protect its people, and ensure representation for all citizens. Germany expressed willingness to support reconstruction and a more inclusive political process in Damascus.
Mr Safadi noted worries about sectarian tensions and called for safeguards to protect minorities and promote national unity.
May Allah grant peace and justice to the Palestinians and all those suffering from war. Pray for an outcome that restores dignity, safety and self-governance to Gaza and leads to a just and lasting solution for the region.
https://www.thenationalnews.co