Pakistan and Afghanistan Agree to Keep Ceasefire - Assalamu alaikum
Assalamu alaikum. Pakistan and Afghanistan have agreed to maintain a ceasefire after peace talks in Istanbul, Turkiye, the countries’ representatives and mediators said. They plan to meet again at a higher-level session in Istanbul on Nov. 6 to work out the details of how the ceasefire will be implemented. The statement said all sides agreed to set up a monitoring and verification mechanism to help keep the peace and to hold any violator accountable.
These negotiations, helped by Turkiye and other friendly states, were meant to reduce border tensions after exchanges of fire earlier this month that left dozens of soldiers, civilians, and militants dead. Even though an earlier round of talks had fallen apart, the ceasefire has mostly held and no new clashes were reported this week. Still, major border crossings remain closed, with hundreds of trucks carrying goods and refugees stuck on both sides.
The Afghan government spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, said Afghanistan is committed to resolving disputes through diplomacy. He emphasized that the Islamic Emirate seeks good relations with neighbors, desires positive ties with Pakistan, and is committed to mutual respect, non-interference, and not threatening anyone.
Pakistan’s Defense Minister Khawaja Mohammad Asif said Pakistan agreed to give peace another chance at the request of Qatar and Turkiye, and that the Pakistani delegation extended their stay in Istanbul. Pakistani officials say any further talks will focus on Islamabad’s main demand that Afghanistan take clear, verifiable, and effective action against militant groups.
May Allah make these efforts successful and protect the innocent on all sides.
https://www.arabnews.com/node/