Lebanon to Free Hannibal Qaddafi After Bail Cut - Peace be upon you
Assalamu alaykum. A Lebanese official said Hannibal Qaddafi, son of the late Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi, is expected to be released after about 10 years in custody in Lebanon. The bail was reduced from $11 million to $900,000 and his travel ban lifted, so once he pays the bail he can leave Lebanon - officials expect that to happen on Friday, though his next destination is unknown.
The Tripoli-based Libyan authorities have said he’s been released. Hannibal faces accusations of not providing information about Musa Al Sadr, a prominent Lebanese Shia cleric who vanished during a trip to Libya in 1978; Hannibal was just a child then. A senior Libyan delegation met Lebanese leaders in Beirut this week seeking his release; he had been held without trial since 2015 and at one point went on hunger strike over his treatment.
Tripoli’s Government of National Unity praised the Lebanese authorities and leaders for their cooperation, and some Libyan officials suggested the release could be part of restoring diplomatic ties between Lebanon and Libya. Relations between the two countries have long been tense over the disappearance of Al Sadr. Nabih Berri, who leads the Amal Movement founded by Al Sadr, remains a key figure in Lebanon and the case still stirs strong feelings nearly 50 years on.
Hannibal left Libya in 2011 during the unrest that ended his father’s rule. He’d been living in exile in Syria with his Lebanese wife Aline Skaf and their children when he was taken and eventually handed to Lebanese authorities.
May Allah grant justice and ease for those affected, and guide the leaders to fair and peaceful solutions. Wa alaykum as-salam.
https://www.thenationalnews.co