Assalamu Alaikum - Five killed in cross-border firing as truce talks continue
Assalamu Alaikum. KABUL - Five people were killed and six injured in a short exchange of fire across the Afghanistan–Pakistan border on Thursday, a hospital source on the Afghan side told AFP, with both countries blaming each other. This incident risks complicating ceasefire talks happening in Turkiye, which aim to reach a truce to stop deadly clashes between the neighboring countries. Security concerns lie at the heart of the dispute: Islamabad accuses Kabul of sheltering militant groups, notably the Pakistani Taliban (TTP), that carry out attacks in Pakistan, allegations the Taliban government denies.
A hospital official in Spin Boldak district, Kandahar province, speaking anonymously, said, “five people died in today’s incident - four women and one man - and six were wounded.” There was no immediate word of casualties on the Pakistani side. Each side quickly accused the other of starting the firing. Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said that while the third round of negotiations with Pakistan was underway in Istanbul, Pakistani forces opened fire on Spin Boldak, and that Afghan forces had held back to avoid civilian harm and out of respect for the negotiation process. Pakistan rejected that claim, saying firing began from the Afghan side and that its security forces responded in a measured way.
Talks have hit sticking points. Hamdullah Fitrat, deputy spokesman for the Taliban authorities, told AFP they did not know why Pakistani forces opened fire and said negotiations in Turkiye were ongoing. An Afghan military source, speaking on condition of anonymity, accused Pakistan of using light and heavy weapons and targeting civilian areas. Local officials described the exchange as brief, lasting about 10–15 minutes according to some residents. Pakistan said calm was restored and that the ceasefire stands, adding it remains committed to dialogue and expects reciprocity from Afghan authorities.
Negotiations in Istanbul stalled last week over details of the ceasefire, with each side accusing the other of unwillingness to cooperate and warning hostilities could resume if talks fail. Turkiye said the parties had agreed to set up a monitoring and verification mechanism to uphold peace and hold violators to account. The UN reported that during a week of clashes in October, 50 civilians were killed and 447 wounded on the Afghan side; at least five people also died in explosions in Kabul. Pakistan’s military said 23 of its soldiers were killed and 29 injured, without giving civilian casualty figures. The Taliban government stresses Afghanistan’s territorial sovereignty, while Islamabad continues to accuse the Afghan authorities of acting with support from India amid warming ties between those two countries.
May Allah grant patience to the families affected and guide leaders toward a just and lasting peace.
https://www.arabnews.com/node/