As-salamu alaykum - New airstrikes in Gaza despite talks of a ceasefire
As-salamu alaykum. UN chief strongly condemns the Israeli strikes in Gaza on Tuesday that killed over 100 Palestinians.
By Stephen Quillen and News Agencies
Israel’s military carried out another deadly strike in northern Gaza even after saying it would resume a fragile ceasefire, which had already been strained by heavy bombardment the night before.
Aerial raids on Wednesday evening hit Beit Lahiya in northern Gaza, and al-Shifa Hospital reported at least two more deaths. Israel said it targeted a site storing weapons it claimed posed an “immediate threat” to its troops.
These strikes deepen uncertainty around the fragile truce that had been in place since October 10, shaken by the most intense bombardment since the ceasefire began.
After reports that an Israeli soldier was killed in Rafah in southern Gaza on Tuesday, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ordered “powerful” retaliatory strikes. Gaza’s Health Ministry said those attacks killed 104 people, mostly women and children. Israel maintained it had targeted senior Hamas fighters and later said it would again observe the truce by mid-Wednesday.
US President Donald Trump insisted the ceasefire “is not in jeopardy” despite the new strikes. Qatar, acting as mediator, voiced frustration but said talks continue toward the next phase of the agreement, including disarmament measures.
In Gaza, the renewed violence retraumatised people who had dared to hope for a pause in fighting. “A brief hope for calm turned into despair,” a correspondent in Gaza City said. For many, the scale and intensity of the recent bombing recalled the opening weeks of the wider assault.
Khadija al-Husni, a displaced mother sheltering with her children in a school at Shati refugee camp, said the attacks came just as people had started to breathe again and try to rebuild. “It’s a crime,” she said. “Either there is a truce or a war - it can’t be both. The children couldn’t sleep; they thought the war was over.”
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres’ spokesman condemned the killings of civilians in Gaza, including many children. UN rights chief Volker Turk called the high death toll appalling and urged all sides to hold onto peace, echoing calls from the UK, Germany and the EU to recommit to the ceasefire.
Hamas denied involvement in the Rafah shooting that killed an Israeli soldier and reiterated its commitment to the truce. But it said it would delay returning the remains of a deceased captive because of Israel’s recent violations, which in turn is used by Israel to claim Hamas is stalling prisoner exchanges. Hamas warned that any further escalation would hinder efforts to search for and recover bodies.
Israel has also barred Red Cross visits to Palestinian prisoners, citing security concerns. Hamas called the ban a violation of prisoners’ rights and part of a pattern of abuses that include killing, torture and forced deprivation.
A group of former world leaders urged the release of Palestinian prisoner Marwan Barghouti, who remains held by Israel despite being named by Hamas for inclusion in the list of prisoners for release under the ceasefire deal. Israel refuses to release him; he is serving multiple life sentences for acts Israel says involved attacks on civilians, charges he denies.
The Elders described Barghouti as a long-time advocate for a two-state solution and one of the most popular Palestinian leaders. They condemned his reported mistreatment and urged world leaders to press for the protection of prisoners’ human rights under international law.
May Allah grant safety and patience to the innocent families affected, and guide all parties back to a lasting and just peace.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news