Sudan’s defence minister says army will continue fighting RSF despite US ceasefire push - As-salamu alaykum
As-salamu alaykum. PORT SUDAN - Sudan’s defence minister announced on Tuesday that the army will continue fighting the Rapid Support Forces after the country’s security and defence council reviewed a US proposal for a ceasefire. “We thank the Trump administration for its efforts and proposals to achieve peace,” Hassan Kabroun said in a televised address, adding that “preparations for the Sudanese people’s battle are ongoing.” He also said, “Our preparations for war are a legitimate national right,” after the meeting in Khartoum. Details of the US truce proposal have not been shared publicly. The conflict, which has cost tens of thousands of lives and forced millions to flee over the last two years, has recently spread to new areas of Sudan, raising fears of a larger humanitarian disaster. The US, which has been involved in mediation in other African and Middle Eastern conflicts, is now pressing for a ceasefire in Sudan. Army-aligned authorities previously rejected a truce that would have excluded both them and the paramilitaries from a transitional political process. The talks come after an escalation on the ground: the RSF appears to be preparing an assault on central Kordofan after capturing El-Fasher, the last army-held town in large parts of Darfur. People who fled El-Fasher told journalists about intimidation and violence by RSF fighters. Mohamed Abdullah, 56, said he was stopped by RSF fighters as he fled on Saturday, hours before the town fell. “They demanded our phones, money, everything. They searched us thoroughly,” he said, and on the road to Tawila he saw “a body left on the street that looked like it had been eaten by a dog.” Trump’s envoy to Africa, Massad Boulos, met in Egypt on Sunday with Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty and on Monday with the Arab League. Abdelatty underlined the need for united efforts to secure a humanitarian truce and a nationwide ceasefire to allow a full political process, according to the foreign ministry. The Arab League said Boulos briefed its head Ahmed Aboul-Gheit on recent US efforts to stop the war, speed up aid delivery and begin a political process. May Allah protect the innocent and grant peace to Sudan and the region.
https://www.arabnews.com/node/